<VV> tempered glass-handle with care

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun Mar 11 18:48:46 EDT 2012

Harry, et al,

It is impossible for me to say with certainty but I would like  to give a
possible explanation of what happened with your exploding glass.   However, I
would first like to give an oversimplified discussion of the nature  of
tempered glass and safety glass as it would help all to understand the
strengths and weaknesses of these types of glass.

Back in the good old days, it became obvious that normal sheet  glass was
dangerous to cars' occupants in an accident.  Pushing your head  or other
body part through glass that turned into knife edged shards would often  cause
death even when the impact of the accident did not.  This was  especially
the case before the use of seat and shoulder belts.  To counter  this, at some
point, (1920s?) windshield glass was required to be laminated with  plastic
between two layers of glass.  The glass would still shatter fairly  easily
but it was more difficult for a body part to penetrate through and flying
glass knives were kept to a minimum.  When I bought my home, the state
required that I either replace the glass in sliding doors with tempered glass or
have a licensed company cover the glass with a film of plastic thus giving
me  laminated glass.  To my knowledge, windshields are still made this  way.

The use of tempered windows on the sides of cars and back  light
applications was a significant safety improvement as well because it was  much more
resistant to breaking and when it did break, it shattered into pebbles
instead of shards with knife edges.  So, what are the characteristics of  tempered
glass?  Again, this will be simplified.

Hot glass flows and allows the manufacturer to form it into a  wide variety
of shapes.  Almost all present day automotive glass has some  degree of
curve to it.  If the manufacturer allowed the glass to cool  slowly overall, it
would not be tempered.  What they do, is quench the  outside surfaces of
the glass so that they cool and harden relatively quickly  while the center
remains hot, soft and fluid for a short period of  time.  When the outside
surfaces cool, they shrink and harden relatively  quickly.  Because the center
is still fluid, it conforms to the outside  shrinkage.  When the center
eventually cools, it also shrinks but the  outside surfaces are already
hardened.  The end result is that the outside  surfaces are pulled into compression
as the inside contracts.  This is  important.

Glass is a brittle substance and all brittle substances are  stronger in
compression than they are in contraction.  In effect, you can  easily support
a significant weight from below with a concrete post but you  would never
hang a similar weight with a concrete member.  Because the  outside surfaces
of tempered glass are in a constant state of compression it is  very
resistant to impact, relatively speaking.  Yes, the center of the  glass is in
contraction but it is protected from impact by the outside  layers.  The glass is
in a constant state of significant stress due to  the compression and
contraction at the same time.  Significant energy is  stored in these stress
forces.  This is why tempered glass seemingly  explodes into pebbles once its
stress limits are exceeded.  The stresses  are immediately relieved in the
process and release the pent up energy almost  instantaneously.  To demonstrate
this, take a piece of tempered glass that  you no longer want and give it a
moderate tap on the surface with a  hammer.  Then give it a tap on the edge
with the same force.  The  glass will shatter much more easily with a tap
on the edge.  Even though  the piece if glass has minimal compression on the
edges, it is still weaker than  the broad surfaces and the stress patterns
are more complex.   WARNING:  If you try this, the glass pebbles will go
flying everywhere at  high initial velocity and they have lots of small sharp
edges.  You can  suffer minor cuts to your skin and if these cuts are to your
eyes, it could be  disastrous.  The glass can fly for yards in any
direction.  Be very  careful.

Now, what MIGHT have happened with your piece of Allante  glass.  Glass is
an amorphous solid substance.  This is a fancy word  for something that is
solid but also flows.  While glass is brittle at room  temperatures, it still
flows/bends/deforms at an extremely slow rate.  What  could have happened
is that the metal mounting bar the glass was mounted in  could have slightly
deformed (bent) the glass when the bar was mounted into the  car.  This
would have created a stress in the glass but not enough stress  to make it break
initially.  Over time, the minor deformation of the glass  may have
relieved itself due to the amorphous nature of glass.  This relief  would have been
a slow process but I do not know how old the car is.  When  you removed the
window assembly from the car, the bar returned to its natural  state and
created a stress in the glass in the opposite direction.  The  glass may have
been more susceptible to stress in one direction than in the  other.  This
may have been due to a minor crack on one side that became  more compressed
when mounted in the car but then subsequently contracted when  the assembly
was removed from the car and the stresses were relieved.   BOOM!  Of course,
this is a theory which is not supported by  evidence.

Keep in mind that any scratch or even a minor crack in  tempered glass can
seriously weaken it.  In a windshield, you can get a  traveling crack put in
tempered glass you could get a pebble  explosion.

By the way, if you store windshields for an extended time, you  should do
it on the edges.  If you must store the windshields horizontally,  you should
support the glass at multiple points such as 1/3 in from each  side.
Because of the amorphous nature of glass, the windshield will begin  to sag over
the years and this is worse if the glass is supported only on the  center
point.  This is more important for windshields that are mounted in  gaskets
like our FCs because the gaskets will force the glass to conform to the  shape
of the FC's mounting opening.  If the glass is mounted in  tar/silicone,
this is less of an issue because the tar/silicone conforms to the  glass and
does not create excessive forces.

How do you avoid a similar episode in the future?   Unfortunately, there is
little you can do other than handling the glass and  window assemblies with
TLC.  If the above described scenario was the cause  of the explosion, it
is doubtful you could observe the potential problem before  the glass hit the
fan, so to speak.

Happy sweeping,

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 3/10/2012 4:49:47 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  2