<VV> Low compression #1

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 11:52:54 EDT 2012

I did the same thing on a 1965 Corvair once, only #3 cyl.  I was able to get
the head off without lowering the engine, discovered broken rings but no
damage to the piston so I installed new rings on one piston, pushed the
barrel on from top to bottom (be careful of snagging the rings in the
cylinder notch) and put everything back together.  Several weeks later after
driving the car a few times I checked compression and it was right up to the
same level as the other cylinders!  I didn't even hone the barrel, just
shoved it back on.
I am not sure you can get the left side head off without lowering the engine
but the right side worked OK.
Clark Hartzel