<VV> Hot starting advice

chuck mckinley cmckinley313 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 18 10:36:28 EDT 2012

Friends,
	This question has been raised numerous times, but I don't recall the
answers so I'll ask again. My '63 Monza 900 is finally working pretty
much "by the book" in terms of tuning, carburetor adjustment, idling,
throttle response, etc., but I'm experiencing what appears to be the
classic issue related to hot starts. Here in southeast Virginia we don't
have much in the way of cold weather, and a few weeks ago we hit about
18F in the early morning. I was gratified that the Monza started
instantly after sitting out all night, so that's not a problem at all.
However, when I drive somewhere far enough to get the engine warmed up
and then park (on grocery runs, etc.), I have to use the technique of
flooring the accelerator to engage the unloader to start it up again. It
always starts without hassle, so maybe there's no real issue, but I'm
wondering if there's any tweak that can be made to minimize this
pattern. I burn mid-grade gas, which is typically 93 octane around here.
For what it's worth, I've just installed new plugs, points, distributor
cap and rotor.

Comments are welcome, as always.

Cheers,
Chuck McKinley