<VV> Hot starting advice

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 18 12:20:03 EDT 2012

Hi Chuck,
Of course Bob Helts book on identifying and rebuilding Corvair Rochester carbs is invaluable and has helped me a number of times. You failed to mention how long your car sits before this occurs and how long you have to crank the engine before it will start. (When you mention "unloader" it leads me to think your car is actually cooled off enough for the choke to be involved). Is your choke adjustment too stiff? Try disconnecting both choke rods after car warms up and see if this issue is still there? Do you have the insulators under the carbs?
Do you have the correct spark plugs with the proper gap? Just a few thoughts from cold and chilly SW Colorado.
Good luck and please post results and findings.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado
PS You also maybe close to Corvair Master Technician Spence Shepherd if worse comes to worse