<VV> Powerglide Update

Tom Hughes corvairdad at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:30:22 EDT 2012

I gave up on the PG that didn't want to Upshift and rebuilt a '64
vintage PG. Mated it to the rest of the drivetrain (95HP) and drove
the car on the highway for the first time this morning. The upshift
point feels a little higher than I'm used to with my other PG cars,
but shifting is smooth and it would downshift at 35 with the throttle
floored. The only surprise (read: disappointment) this morning was the
TEMP/PRES light came on with the car stopped and the engine idling in
Drive after fifteen minutes driving at 55-65 mph. As soon as I shifted
to Neutral, the light went off. I'm thinking (read: hoping) that all I
need to do is install a new sender or, at the worst, a thinner gasket
under the oil pump cover. I will, however, hook up a pressure gage
before doing anything more.

BTW, the PG rebuild was far easier than I'd expected.

Another BTW, when I popped the cover off the bad PG and removed the
front pump assy, I found a chunk of metal lying in the bottom of the
case. Weight-wise it feels like aluminum. An inspection of stuff I
could see with drum and gears removed didn't reveal a source. Someday
I'll pull the rear pump and see what the gears look like.

--
Tom in Baltimore
corvairfleet.blogspot.com