<VV> Replacing Oil Pressure Regulator Spring

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 23:21:56 EDT 2012

Frank and all. The spring and plunger should not be regulating anything
at idle. It is a pressure regulater, but at the other end, the top end.
So, if you are getting 45 psi at higher rpm's, the spring stays closed
to that pressure, then opens enough to return excess pressure. Pressure
at lower rpm's is the pressure developed by the pump versus all the
places oil flows through. If the pumps flow matches flow, there is no
pressure. If flow capability is greater than the places oil needs to
flow, you get pressure, up to the relief spring setting. that why at
idle, pressure is normally lower. The pumps volumetric capacity at idle
is not much greater than where it flows, at higher rpms the volumetric
capacity to pump goes up, and so does the pressure.

Yes, too much pressure can be bad too. One time I solved a engine dying
problem when the engine got above 2500 rpms. The oil pressure relief
valve had stuck shut, and every time the oil pressure climbed above 60
psi all the lifters would over pump, open the valves, and kill the
compression. So you would pull to the side of the road, by the time you
would stop, it would bleed down and start right up again. Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone