<VV> Oil pressure regulator spring, my take

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Mar 24 00:15:26 EDT 2012

The Chevy 216 Stovebolt SIx was splash lubricated until 1954. In 1954
the dash oil pressure gauge was changed to a 0 to 60 psi range, and the
crank was now pressure lubricated on all journals.

There were dippers on the side of the rod journals to pick up oil from
the sump as the crankshaft rotated and the rod journals traveled through
the oil. The oil then ran through a little hole in the bottom of the
dipper to feed the rod journals on the crankshaft.

Funny, we were just discussing this at the Performance Workshop...

Smitty and his souped up Chevys.

Frank DuVal

ps: good article Cap'n