<VV> How On Earth Do You Remove A 64 Spyder Generator?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Mar 25 02:38:17 EDT 2012

Ah, the joys of the big fan 64's.

The generator output is larger on the 64's, so they gave it a bigger fan.

Take out the oil pressure switch first, it helps. An opportunity to buy
new tools!

The nut is 15/16". I do not recall an allen hex in a generator armature,
alternators have them.  Take an old belt, wrap around the pulley groove,
and lock with visegrips. Do not use visegrips on the steel pulley. Do
not try to hold the pulley by prying with a screwdriver on the fan
blades. They snap off very quickly! Or, use impact gun like Shaun says.
They do work the best, but it is hard to use them on a 64, since there
is no clear straight shot....

The stock Corvair armatures have left hand threads, so turn the nut CW
to loosen, backwards of normal. Unless someone changed the armature in
the past and used a normal GM armature. Yes they fit fine, just have
right hand threads. Look at the threads visible on yours, and see if you
can see which way they lie. /////// is left handed, \\\\\\\\ is right
handed.

Yes, brushes are typically the electrical failure. Bearings and bushings
are the  typical mechanical failure.

How could you test the voltage regulator without a working generator?

Easy generator test. Start engine. Attach voltmeter positive lead to A
(armature) terminal of generator, negative lead to ground. Note voltage.
If 14 or so, everything is OK. If 12.6 or less, attach a wire from
ground to the F (field) terminal of the generator. If voltage stays the
same, generator is bad. If voltage goes up to 14 or more, generator is
good, voltage regulator or something else is bad. Remove wire as soon as
you get the voltmeter reading. You are full fielding the generator and
it will overheat after some time. Note, run engine above idle (1500 rpm
or so) when reading voltmeter, as generator output at idle can be zero,
thus 12.6 Volts or so could be normal at idle.

Frank DuVal