<VV> ignition knocking on 66 Corsa Turbo

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 16:16:40 EDT 2012

Hello Guus,
Hope that all is well with you and your family.
Please see below for my comments.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 3/25/2012 12:40:09 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
guusdehaan at me.com writes:

How good  are the new ignitors? Do they require a special coil?

Well there are three different ignitors as i remember. The first is ignitor
 I. It requires a coil with a STOCK primary resistance of 1.35 ohms if the
ballast resistor is in the circuit. So any coil will work if it has that
res.
ignitor II is designed to use their coil with a 0.6 ohm pri res. It will
work with others but is best with their coil. I'm not currently familiar with
 ignitor III, so others will have to advise you.

Bob,  I'll check my distributor with your procedures too. Just curious if
the retard  unit works as expected.

You can't check the retard unit that way (via my procedures). It requires
actual pressure (engine under load) to activate. Also you should know that
the  Chev specs for the retard units are grossly incorrect. Actual retard
pretty much  follows boost pressure....meaning max retard at max boost, and min
at min.

let us know if you need more help or information.
Regards,
Bob Helt

Regards,

Guus de  Haan