<VV> Replacing Oil Pressure Regulator Spring

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at q.com
Sun Mar 25 20:38:44 EDT 2012

> That is an interesting story... You did not rebuild this engine. You did a hodge podge collection of stuff, some new and some used.

Some seem to not recall the days of 'Back When', when used Corvairs sold
for $25 or less, and it made no fiscal sense to buy a set of $50
bearings for a $25 car -- so serviceable bearings got reused, as did
gaskets and other such -- and labor (your own) was truly cheap, as you
were making $1.25 an hour, or maybe, as a poor 'student', whatever was
left after you paid tuition and bought books (didn't you have a girl
friend or two that paid the rent?).

I remember stories about the old timers and their Babbitt bearing
splash-oiled engines using bacon rind in an emergency -- enuf so that I
actually tried it in a Morris Minor as a temporary emergency repair --
think I actually got several thousand miles on it (948 cc, 34 hp) before
I managed to procure a good bearing (not a set, just that one) -- of
course, that was back when one could get bacon with the rind on about
everywhere.

Yeah, it is nice when you don't have to be the proverbial 'cheap Corvair
owner', but let's not criticize folks that are adhering to the old ways,
whatever their reasons.

Thanks,

Bill Strickland