<VV> looking to buy a spare fuel pump

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Mar 29 19:09:08 EDT 2012

I do not remember anything about the heads of the screws being a "tell"
for a bad pump.

There was a time the rubber diaphragms of the pump were made from
inferior material. You could tell those pumps as there was no visible
fabric when you looked at the edge of the diaphragms. Compare several
and see if any have just plain black rubber instead of the fabric
reinforced style.

I have had to retighten the screws on pumps to cure leaking that starts
after installation. Some people retighten them right after installation.

There should be a tag with 4886 or such hanging off one screw besides
the made in USA stamp on the top cover.

It is amazing how many sources of this pump are still around:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=corvair+fuel+pump&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17112212090370950937&sa=X&ei=Bet0T-PiLojO2wXRz7SaDQ&ved=0CE8Q8wIwAA

My most recent purchases were from John Sweet in Pennsylvania.

http://johnscorvairparts.vpweb.com/About-Us.html

I would use that pump you already have, when you need one. Then buy
another spare to sit on the shelf.

Frank DuVal