<VV> Fwd: [fastvair] Mitty 2012

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Tue May 1 13:48:35 EDT 2012

Heel and toe, Do Si Do

Whew,

I'm still coming down from the experience.
Many many thanks to all of the help from my crew and the volunteers;
Roger Ringlestetter, Andy Kindleselman, Paul Fox, Steve BrinkerHoff,
any many others, who jumped in to help when I needed it.Many thank to
the ladies for the food and the smiles and encouragement.
    The purpose of this event  for me other than the obvious camaradie
of 14 Corvairs and their drivers and crew was to race on the track at
least once with my son Michael; as I probably won't be doing this event
again---just toooo much!
     I did get to race with Michael during the test event and did some
proper dicing. My entire family plotted secretly and all came to the
event.
     I went through two engines during the races.  The EP one lost
compression to one cylinder. The turbo one(CP) just quit. It may be
months before I tear them apart. No banging or explosions. I could
hardly get close to the car during the engine swap---so much help.
     I was again offered a drive in Mike Levine's V8 Corvair. This
extremely well prepared car has a 406 CID V8 in the back seat with 540
horsepower and with tires about the same as my 200 hp engine car. With
larger wheels this would be a CAN AM car. Due to the late entry I had
to start almost at the back of the large field of cars. It was great
fun to pass all the cars and had worked my way up to about 6th position
overall in about 10 minutes. Corvair drivers simply  point the car and
mash the throttle . This V8 car would spin the tires in amy gear at any
speed---so it was, easy does it, on power application. Naturally I got
braver aand braver as time went on. I never was happy with my late
apexing in turn twelve. Twelve is under the bridge, uphill and then
down hill toward the front straight---nearly a blind approach. I
followed a 911 Porsche through this blind turn and went just as wide as
he did on the approach. I followed his line exactly, but I was
oversteering(using up the friction circle with powere and cornering)
the car and the  outside rear  wheel touched the rumble strip (apex
marker) and I spun at over 100 mph toward the inside wall and smacked
it. All I could think about was the damage to Mike's car.
     I got back on the track and turned the car over to Michael and
James Reeve for their turn in the enduro.
   They got a short shift due to other accidents on the track.
    I am so grateful for the ride and so sorry about the damage to the
car.
     Our family got interviewed by someone  from the track makeing a
Vintage Racing promotion movie. What an added blessing:

1 Corth. 9:24 Know yea, that all who enter the race, run all; but only
one receiveth the prize.

Warren

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: