<VV> Mitty & Trip

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Tue May 1 22:22:23 EDT 2012

Had a nice drive down thru a couple of hvy rain storms but otherwise, no issues. I didn't bring a car to race. Picked up Crew Pass that David Clemens left for me at Registration. Found I had no car pass - his were used up. The infield pits are quite a ways from the gate and it was approaching 5 pm so I went to the motel. I didn't get to help anyone on Thurs eve. Bob Storc came thru with a car pass the next morn and I was in to drop off a 4 spd transaxle to Barry. And assist. Helped Barry pull Bob Coffin's engine where we replaced the rear crankshaft seal. Generally had a great time. On the one hand, I really missed driving on track along with the other Corvairs and friends. No worries the car wouldn't work, break, have to fix, etc. On the other hand, no responsibility other than to help. Great!

James R. did inform me to make sure the seat will fit him so he can drive the #89 ....

Our guys had some problems towing down and back. Bob Storc had fuel pump, engine ground and later alternator problems. David Edsinger had a driveshaft issue he tackled on Sunday. Al Wicht had his tow truck trans go out. Al received the Hard Luck Award consisting of donations from all who were asked. Thank you to all who gave so generously. If we missed you, set aside some for the next go around; we may need it!

I went to Ocala FL on Sun and coming back, decided to drive US 301 North rather than I 95. Couple of incidents. One, in northern FL, 17 mi. of road work where they are making 301 into four lanes. I along with a couple others were behind two logging trucks doing about 65. We passed a police car who pulled out behind us. The truckers never lifted..I was worried but we slowed to speed limit at the next town and he turned off.

Next, 10 mi or so up the road, a new Pick-me-up rear-ended an old one in the oncoming lane, driving the struck pickup swerving down the shoulder and his lane toward me but I had Big Momma whoa'd down so if he hadn't controlled it, I would have not gotten hit.. I don't think.

Coming over the bridge into South Carolina, traffic was stopped because a logging truck was wedged under a C-130 fuselage on a low boy.. Ever seen that? Well, no shoulders so in about an hour they were able to move it a half mile to where there was room and I was off again. Went over to I 95 to make up some lost time. Six SC police cars in a few miles. And this morning, another six or seven forming a Welcome Home Chuck reception north of Emporia in Virginia.  The guy behind me was surprised a bit when I eased off a couple of times, only to come upon John Law and later his sister, Judy Law waiting..  He fell in behind me after those times and didn't dog me.

It was really nice to meet so many folks and to see friendly faces. I wish I had more time to talk with more people. Thanks to all who came to watch, take pictures, videos, and socialize. You can't believe how much that means to the racers.

Chuck S
BBRT