<VV> Oil Pressure Question

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Mon May 7 10:57:10 EDT 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the responses to my oil pump question. This question is a bit of
a segue.

I do intend to go back and recheck the oil pump spacer but in the meanwhile
the idiot light goes off usually during cranking and I'm running at 20 PSI
oil pressure at 2500 RPM on a brand new motor. An interesting point here is
that If I hadn't installed the oil pressure gauge during the build, the oil
light would be off and I'd never be any the wiser and that set me thinking
(always a dangerous thing to do at my age!)

Assuming for the moment that the engine is OK and the problem is with the
oil pump, is it in fact OK to run with 20 PSI? Given that GM engineered the
oil pressure light to come on at about 5-6 PSI, then could one assume that
anything over that is "good enough". Is it ?

Put another way, 45 PSI of oil pressure sounds better than 35 PSI and that
sounds better than 25 PSI and so on but does it really make any difference -
assuming that the motor is in good shape?

Just curious..

Regards,

Bob