<VV> advice and parts needed

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Mon May 7 18:08:37 EDT 2012

Ben is a very good (26 y/o) friend of mine who was foolish enough to allow
me to get him hooked on Corvairs.  He recently purchased his first, a 62
Monza 4sp. coupe project car.  The plan is to do the minimum required to
get the car road worthy, then continue to fix it up a little at a time.

As mentioned earlier we were working on brakes today so we also planned to
clean and grease the rear wheel bearings (via tech guide instructions).
 Upon opening the passenger side rear wheel bearing assembly we found the
likely reason the car was parked to begin with.  The inner bearing carrier
came out in two pieces, with lots of other damage evident.

New rear wheel bearings are completely outside the budget for this project
so I'm hoping for a used set we can clean and grease.  I remember something
about these needing to be pressed on and off or something of that sort, so
I need advice on how to go about replacing these with used ones.  How best
to remove and install the assembly etc.

If nobody is able to provide a decent pair of used rear bearing assemblies,
but a procedure for somehow replacing them (maybe the whole half shaft?) is
available I might have to steal the ones of my 63' which will be getting
stripped and scrapped in a month or two.  I know that the 63 up bearings
are different and I'll have to change more than just the bearing.  I might
even resort to swapping the whole rear suspension from one car to the
other.

Thanks for any help!

--
*Looking to buy a Spyder coupe for 3k or less*

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA