<VV> valve seats revisited (Engine Braking)

Robert Henry henry336359 at bellsouth.net
Tue May 8 13:36:31 EDT 2012

When I dropped a seat in my Corvair it was on a trip to the store. Drove the car
to the store, circulated around looking for a place to park, parked and went in
the store. When I came out and started up it was making this noise. So much for
the theory of a smoking hot engine at the climax of a hill climb. In fact, this
engine seems to enjoy that kind of thing.

The valve seat failure occurred shortly after I'd rebuilt the engine. I'd seen
no evidence of problems during the rebuild (well, except for the worn-out engine
parts.) However, there was evidence and reports of overheating incidents in the
engine's history before I got it. Broken fan belts, seized alternator, clogged
air passages, broken heater hoses, etc. It may not be a single event but a
history of overheating that causes the problem. Now it runs fairly cool.

Robert Henry
'65 Corsa Convertible Turbo
Knoxville, TN