<VV> Brake Master Cylinder Question

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 11 11:16:50 EDT 2012

Jay,

DOT 3 or 3-4 is hygroscopic (sp?) (absorbs moisture from the air).  Water in
the brake lines is NOT a good thing.  That rubber boot under the top of the
MC is designed to expand to fill any void (to keep air out) should the fluid
go low.  Fresh fluid should be added after removing the "cup" to as near
full as you can get it without spilling any.  Put a rag below the MC to
catch any spills since the brake fluid will eat the paint off of your trunk
floor. Flatten the boot back out if it has been expanded when replacing it.

Now...  why did you loose fluid?  It really does not evaporate - so there is
very likely a leak someplace.  Check for leaks in the system.  Most common
place for leaks is probably at wheel cylinders, but could be elsewhere.
Look at the back side of all four wheels for dampness.  Also, check the toe
panel in the passenger compartment for dampness as well - that would
indicate a MC leak.

Later, JR