<VV> No Electrics

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sun May 13 13:12:41 EDT 2012

I've always installed 60 amp maxi fuses.  You want to avoid nuisance
failures and common alternators produce 37-55 amps.  A dead-battery
recharge scenario would blow a 30-amp fuse just on recharge current. You
also don't want the fuse to blow when your alternator conks out and all
the power comes from the battery through the fuse.

The idea is to protect the 10 gauge wire, which will definitely be
protected by a 60 amp fuse for the "short" time required to blow the
fuse. (Ampacity of wire is a bit slippery based on length, insulation
temperature tolerance, time of current application).  I've done the math
but don't have it at my fingertips but I do recall 60 amps was the answer.