<VV> ATF change

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Thu May 17 11:24:59 EDT 2012

My wife's CTS also says not to change the transmission fluid but there is a transmission fluid life monitor just like the oil monitor.  I guess they couldn't decide.
We got the car at 60K and the first thing I did was change the transmission fluid.  It was the nastiest fluid I've ever seen in a working transmission.  I now run Dexron VI and Mobil 1 0-30 in it and change both every 3K.
My Corvairs get Mobil 1 5-30 and Dexron VI (if they use it).  I also change the diff and manual trans oil at 3K.  And before you ask - no none of them have automatic and manual transmissions.
I started changing my transmission fluid at 3K after watching a friend's 1985 C10.  He changed his fluid with engine oil changes.  He ran that 700R4 behind several engines including a supercharged 350.  It was still working fine when he sold the truck many years later.  If you will remember those early 700R4s were notoriously unreliable even behind a stock engine.
I haven't had any transmission issues since I started changing the fluid at 3K around 12 years ago.
"Changing" the fluid isn't like your engine oil anyway.  When I change the fluid in a 700 I'm only changing about 4 quarts.  The transmission holds around 12.  One more reason to change it so often.
Joel McGregor