<VV> CHT Re: valve seats and "Ping"

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Thu May 17 16:40:26 EDT 2012

John,
     Of course I didn't NEED the CHT gauge to tell  me there was a
problem!!  But I did NEED the gauge to tell me how far I  could drive before I had
to cool off the engine by shutting down and lifting the  engine compartment
lid.  How far would YOU have driven a Corvair one time  on 3 cylinders and
another time with NO functioning  fan????   The CHT "told" me how far I could
drive each time before I  had to pull over and cool off so the engine was
not damaged.
     Since the average driver will simply not bother to  add water to a
water injection system, the mfrs. all use intercoolers which are  virtually
idiot proof.  Oldsmobile found that out the hard way when they  installed water
injection briefly on their turbocharged Jetfire engines in  1962-63.  It's
hard enough for the average driver to remember to add  engine OIL when
needed.  I remember seeing a woman at a gas  station once with NO oil showing on
her dipstick and the attendant had to add 3  quarts of oil to replenish the
level.  And yes, he DID push the stick down  all the way into the tubing.
     If water injection was good enough for 20,000 of  our fighter planes
during WW 2, it's good enough for me.
But maybe "they" weren't "smart enough" then to use intercoolers????

     Frank Burkhard
     Boonton, NJ

In a message dated 5/14/2012 8:32:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,