<VV> fan height

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 22:00:18 EDT 2012

> I just make a shim for under the fan  mounting flange...so simple!
>

> Matt Nall
> Charleston, Oregon
> http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
> http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages
Matt- the problem with shims under the fan is that the pulley height changes, as well as the fan. It can work well if the fan height and pulley height are both too low,but if the fan is a little low but the pulley height is correct, adjusting the fan up (by shimming or adjusting the bearing in the housing) can upset the pulley alignmentenough to  cause the belt to come off (even though the pulley aligment dimension may still be within specification according to the manual). I had not tossed a belt in20 some odd years of driving Corvairs, and as soon as I had adjusted the fan up 1/16 via a custom shim under the fan I tossed 3 belts in a few months, even thoughthe fan pulley height was still "in tolerance" according to the manual. I took the shim back out and havent tossed a belt since I removed the shim- 20000 miles ago. I like the idea of putting a height adjustable ring under the shroud, because it would be alot more accurate ( the stock shrouds arent always parallel to the blade tips)and the clearance between the fan tips and shroud could then be set independant of the pulley height. The downside of course, to that method is that either the fantips have to be cut enough to fit this ring, or the shroud needs to be blocked up from its normal mounting position enough to gain the needed space. I did see a fancut at the tips simaliar to what would be required to fit a ring under the shroud ( I saw this at the corvair center site some time ago) but I dont think they were intendingto put a ring under the shroud. Kevin Nash