<VV> Attention Cavemen - need help!

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu May 17 23:44:51 EDT 2012

Those pipes are the choke heat circuit. You can delete them and use an
electric choke element as Matt says, or you can just replace the pipes.
They just stick into the cast iron parts. The pipes get really thin from
rust over the years (they do run at elevated temperatures in use). When
they break off the cast iron parts, just drill out the hole and stick a
new pipe in. Make sure the parts inside the hidden areas are not
clogged. They do need to flow (hot) air.

The circuit is from the air cleaner, through the exhaust manifold, to
the choke housing, and then back to the intake manifold (a source of
vacuum). This is a typical circuit from many Carter carburetors over the
years. Even my 1984 F-150 has it. It does also have the electric powered
element also. Sort of Ford's belt and suspenders approach!

Frank DuVal