<VV> Thermal Expansion Valve

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Mon May 21 11:51:02 EDT 2012

Hi George,

The TXV does not need to be replaced for R 134a. It is the suction/POA
valve that needs to be recalibrated. There was a word of  mouth change back
when we first started R 134a conversions that you just turned the set screw
inside the port to change the setting. Of course, these suction/POA valves
were not used on Corvairs, as we use a thermostat to cycle the compressor
to prevent evaporator icing, so why do I digress? Who knows....

Clark's sells new expansion valves calibrated to R134a, but then says they
also work on R12, so ???? Just use the original valve if it works.

My personal opinon, and flame suit is on, is that with the current price of
R134a, original systems just need R12 refills after service to repair
problems and leaks. You do not want a leaking system no matter what. Same
advice for those R12 drop in replacements. Why use them when R 12 is still
available? You just need a club member that gets MACS or such certified to
do the work.... Simple and cheap course, good refresher course, to get
certified. IF you don't know how AC works, learn before changing parts and
other ozone depleting operations....

Frank DuVal

Just got back from Virginia Vair Fair in my cool interior 1966 factory air
sedan full of R12 and A-6 compressor. Even autocrossed with all 95 HP I
have...