<VV> Vair Fair

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon May 21 19:26:20 EDT 2012

Smitty Says;   Went to the VA Vair Fair Fri morning .  Drove the Spyder for
a change as it seldom gets more than 10 miles from the house.  Maybe 1000
miles in the last 20 years.  Anyway I was satisfied, if not thrilled, with
the 20 mpg I got at 70-75 mph.  Not too happy to hear the fan bearing when I
slowed for a rest stop.  Well, "Press on Regardless", since I wasn't about
to change one of those on the road (on a Turbo).  Had a good time at the
show.  The weather was terrific and the show was well organized.  Managed to
borrow a bearing greaser and was pleased to get some grease in there even
though I don't believe in greasing them.  It got really loud on the way
home.  Contrary to what some believe, the grease did not make the balls
round again.  Spent the day stripping the stuff out of the way to get the
turkey roaster and fan off.  New bearing has been pressed into the hub and
is ready for installation tomorrow.   I will know better next time than to
drive a car with ignition points, a 20 year old stock type fuel pump and
valves that were adjusted cold.

Checked my email this morning and was stunned.  What happened to all the
well considered and wisely posted information on dropped valve seats.
Surely they are no longer a problem.