<VV> Vair Fair

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Tue May 22 09:41:23 EDT 2012

Three couples from Lexington, KY ventured over to our sister city in
Virginia to join with a great bunch of folks.  Many are on this list so I
won't try to name the all for fear of overlooking anyone.

I just wanted to add my kudos to the Virginia clubs for an outstanding
event.  They really know how to throw a party.  As already mentioned, the
weather and location was superb.  However, as always, it was the people that
made the event.  I managed to edge Smitty out for the "Hard Luck Award."
His squealing fan bearing was no match for my "hydro-locked" engine.  On the
trip over the needle/seat in the driver's side primary began to act up.  Not
knowing any better, I inadvertently parked uphill with a full tank of gas.
Apparently that allowed fuel to flow right into the engine unabated.
According to my calculations, nearly a half gallon of fuel went through that
engine overnight.  When I tried to start it in the morning it locked up.  We
thought at first the starter nose may have broken so we pulled the starter.
It was fine, then tried turning the engine by hand.  It moved, so about that
time someone suggested hydro-lock.  We pulled #2 plug, tried the starter
again and fuel shot out the spark plug hole like a fountain.

The engine ran well enough the rest of the day to complete the rally and
then on Sunday to complete the "Corvair Games" and a sight-seeing trip to
the historic area of Lexington.  The car ran well enough on the way home but
the needle stuck again a couple of times.  Will find out today what it was.
But again just wanted to say thanks to all the fantastic people that put on
this event.  It was my first time ever at the Vair Fair, I only hope it
isn't the last.  What a great bunch of people. It was obvious to all that
they had put a great deal of time and effort into hosting this event.
Thanks to all!

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
66 Monza