<VV> Axle Splines

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Wed May 23 11:11:59 EDT 2012

Smitty Says;  I experienced the slipped axle spline problem first time, a
good many years ago.  Then I became aware that the problem was fairly
common.  Also formed an opinion that GM never planned that joint to be
moving around and manufacturing red dust.  My fix was just "my fix", but it
has served me well for dozens of axles.  I cut strips of tin can into half
inch wide strips about two inches long, and place them along the spline
extending into the yoke as the yoke is driven onto the axle.  Sometimes two
strips, sometime three, depending on how sloppy the fit was.  It helps to
tape the strips to the axle as it is rather daunting to juggle three strips
of metal and a yoke at the same time.  Anyway, once you have the yoke driven
on far enough to stay there, coat the spline liberally with Loc-Tite or
bearing bedding compound.  Every one is different so you have to remain
fexible on doing the job.  Sometimes you can pull the two parts together
using 3-4 different length bolts, or a stack of washers and one longer bolt.
Shear off the protruding ends of tin when you are done pulling.

I did this one time on My rampy after it had already spun.  I had a brand
new bearing on the axle and did not want to disturb it.  The "fix" was still
there and working fine a half dozen years later when I sold it.