<VV> Custom Fans

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Thu May 24 06:31:36 EDT 2012

 From a schematic standpoint, we are flowing through an orifice. A complicated bunch of them in parallel, but that's what we have here. And, when it comes to cooling, turbulence is actually our friend. Laminar flow is a poor flow regime when it comes to heat transfer. Sure, turbulent flow takes a bunch more power than laminar flow at similar flow rates, but we're trying to cool here, and that's what counts. And under all conditions, the flow is turbulent through these engines. It's also always turbulent through radiators and intercoolers, and in fact the fins are designed specifically to make SURE it's turbulent!

They slow the air flow down in aircraft simply to reduce external drag, and in some cases, overcooling! 400 MPH air represents one hell of a lot of ram pressure, and if they presented all of this to the engine, it may never get warm, and would seriously increase drag. They don't slow it down for cooling purposes, they slow it down to reduce intake area and increase aircraft performance!

John Roberts