<VV> Update on stainless steel fuel sending unit

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Nov 15 07:37:47 EST 2012

At 10:32 PM 11/10/2012, Matt Nall wrote:

>It is my understand that with 4 gallons in the tank the dash gauge should
>read E (or VERY close to that).  While the tank (cars) holds 14 gallons, a
>fill up should require 10 when on E.  The other 4 is/was considered a
>"reserve" by GM.
>
>Later, JR

I've noticed that some tank senders do indeed have a section of wiper
resistor wire that's replaced with a brass "sleeve" (for lack of a
better word) that bypasses the last 1/8 of the wiper travel on the
sender.  This could well leave almost 3 gallons or so in the tank
while making the gauge read EMPTY.

Some... but not all.  The original sender in the tank of my '60 was
like that.  It was kinda unsettling to have the gauge reading EMPTY
knowing that there was still some fuel there but how much was a
toss-up.  I'd rather the gauge be accurate.  I modified the sending
unit to show full when full and empty when in fact empty.  No
second-guessing.

I've noticed that *some* (but not all) later variants of the sending
unit do NOT give you that much "reserve", with that same sleeve being
smaller, but still enough to leave about a gallon and a half once it
finally shows EMPTY.   Last time I filled the tank of the '60 it had
been showing almost empty, just a smidgen above the E mark (and no
longer bouncing around while turning corners).  It took 11.6 gallons
to fill it.  Remembering that the '60 tank holds less than later
tanks (barely 12 gal.) I took note that the gauge was still pretty
accurate.    Personally, I still like knowing what's actually there
than playing guessing games once the gauge bumps down to E.

I also carry a can with a gallon in it in case I end up not paying
attention and I run out of fuel.  But that's just me, being me.

tony..