<VV> Safety Lighting features for pre 1967 cars

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sun Nov 18 09:42:52 EST 2012

 There are a couple of ways to do this.
1. Get an aftermarket 4 way flasher switch. It has 4 sets of contacts, and ties into the existing wires to the four corners.
2. If you want to use the diode method, you want diodes rated for 6 amps each, otherwise, the inrush from the bulbs will blow them out. And, unfortunately. silicon diodes often fail as a short. Go online, search for '6 amp axial lead diode', and there's lots of places that sell them fairly cheap. Something like $14 for 25 of them.
Use 4 of them, one to each bulb, with the silver band pointing toward the bulb. Use the various wiring diagrams online to determine the color codes. Make SURE you get the brake/turn light wires and not the parking/taillight wires.
Tie the other ends all together, connect them in series with a switch and in series with an emergency flasher. Pretty basic stuff.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this...

John Roberts