<VV> PG fluid into intake/Datsun wheel update

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Nov 18 12:38:55 EST 2012

Hi folks,

I got the set of 280ZX wheels on the wagon and yesterday took it for a run to a club meeting.  Good news is the 15x6" Datsun wheels fit perfectly, no rubbing with 205/60-15 tires, I went full lock several times just to see if I could make them rub.  I had asked a few weeks ago about lug nuts and the ones I got make putting the Datsun wheels on truly a bolt on operation.  I added a couple photos of the wagon with the old and new wheels on my wheel photos page at http://autoxer.skiblack.com/wheelpics.html, along with a couple shots of Doug Mackintosh's setup.  If you're shopping for wheels, there are now several different styles depicted so you can see what you like.

I did have a gremlin show itself on the drive, tho.  Shifting seemed a little inconsistent, so when I got to the meeting I checked the PG and found it quite low on fluid - and this car shows no evidence of leaking.  Fortunately our host had some fluid on hand I could top off with.  When I got close to full (engine running in neutral), I started getting smoke out the tailpipe.  After a bit it went away and when I got home the fluid was low again.

I don't have a lot of experience fixing 'Glides since the fool things are so tough.  Bad modulator?  Anything else to check?

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell | Springfield, Va. | bryan at skiblack.com | http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa
'69 Road Runner, '99 Neon R/T, '00 Miata SE, '09 Ford F-150
Kid cars: '00 Grand Marquis, '99 Miata