<VV> 1960 driveline differences

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Tue Nov 27 14:17:31 EST 2012

The one-year-only aluminum case manual 3-speed
transmission is an interesting piece of Corvair history. I
have one example that I cleaned up and made ready for
display. CPF does have one of the really rare aluminum
case 4-speed prototype transmissions. I would gladly loan
mine to display next to it - if CPF had a place to display
them.

As for using a later model manual transmission in place of
the 1960 unit you would have to change the differential as
well. The input gears are different. To put a four speed
in place of a three speed you would have to modify the
suspension crossmember. I guess you could swap in a 1961
or later crossmember from a four speed car.

I have 1960 sedan that has a three speed (correct
original) and I was thinking of putting in a four speed
transaxle from a 1963 Corvair. Recent parts acquisitions
have resulted in at least four transaxles sitting in the
garage. It should be an interesting project? - Caveman
Pete