<VV> Saginaw 4-spd in Greenbrier

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 15:23:50 EST 2012

So the question is 4 or 6 bolt Saginaw into a van?

I would stick with the 4 bolt unless you are building a mega horsepower
engine. The small 4  bolt unit is easier to shift and can be found with
more correct ratios to match the van torque curves. Since the 6 bolt unit
came out in 66, no FCs ever had a factory 6 bolt unit.

Also mating a 6 bolt tranny to a 4 bolt differential has known issues.
Again, it can be done, but be aware of the issues. Never having done this
swap, I have not commited them to memory.

My vote is the swap is not worthwhile.

A much better use of your time would be to investigate an hydraulic clutch.
We have a club member that has installed several on FCs and it seems to
lessen the shake on take off so prevalent on some vehicles.

Frank DuVal