<VV> Looking for a fuel flow sender or MPG gauge for carb engine, not EFI...

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Thu Oct 4 14:10:16 EDT 2012

Hi Frank,
OK, thanks for the advice.   Of course we all have an average MPG
calculator that only needs a pencil and paper.   I was specifically
looking for something instantaneous so I could make minor changes and
hopefully know which is better.   I understand readings might be all
over the map, but under some controlled conditions I might be able to
make improvements.  It would tell me things like at a given speed, is it
better when going up hill to drop down a gear or leave it in the higher
gear.   A vacuum gauge cannot tell me which is the better alternative.

Also, thanks for the Innovate advice as I DO have one of those and the
tail pipe adapter.   I have not yet used it for this vehicle and it has
been years since I used it at all, so I need to check that it will work
with my current laptop and maybe get a port adapter.

My thoughts to evaluate under controlled conditions things like removal
of the air dam, addition of a cold ram air for the carb, and once the
front air suspension is complete, vehicle height changes.   I found a
great fuel mileage site:  ECOmodder.com, where they are VERY involved
with all types of fuel mileage improvement.   They have a very slick
approach for calculating coefficient of drag and rolling resistance by
simply allowing the vehicle to slow down with three runs in each
direction and by inputting the slow down data, calculate the answers.
That way you can see the effects of tire inflation, changes in improving
air flow, etc.

Larry