<VV> Corvair on Vegas TV show.

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Oct 7 22:01:29 EDT 2012

Ken,
    That's just one of many errors (anachronisms?)  covering Corvairs (as
well as other cars).  The one I remember is  in the excellent movie "Mr.
Holland's Opus".  Mr. Holland is starting  his school year as a music teacher
and at breakfast that morning the radio  announces that the Warren Commission
has just published its report on President  Kennedy's assassination.  This
took place a year after Kennedy's death  which puts the time at September
1964.  Holland drives his early Corvair to  work and is criticized by the
assistant principal who asks if Holland didn't  read Nader's "Unsafe At Any
Speed".  However, Nader's book wasn't published  until 1965, almost a year
later!!  Holland ignores him and drives his  Corvair during the entire movie.
    Reminds me that some expert (whose name escapes my  old and feeble
mind) claims that the Corvair was the contributing factor is  enabling Bush to
beat out Al Gore for the Presidency!!  He claims that  Nader's diatribe
against the early Corvair gave Nader so much fame in his  "Unsafe...." book that
Nader was able to run for President against Bush and Gore  and that Nader
was able to "steal" so many votes from Gore in Florida that Bush  carried
Florida and won the Presidency.  Makes sense to me.
    Frank Burkhard
    Boonton, NJ

In a message dated 10/7/2012 9:21:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,