<VV> (garage lighting info) (Permitting)NO CORVAIR

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Mon Oct 8 15:39:00 EDT 2012

I may be in a better area than you but I certainly wouldn't call it minimal.  I can't even build a 2 car garage without paying $20K in "impact" fees and then it has to be 100% brick and can't have more than 8' ceilings.  That's why I'm making an offer on the 4.8 acres outside the city limits.  I'll probably get annexed as soon as I buy it.  Property rent er tax will be around $6K/yr on the new place and the tax on the .9 acre I have now is about $4K/yr.  Power is about 10 cents here.  I guess the extra $2K in rent will be offset by the ability to build without permits and the extra room.
I'm not really sure I can make a living here any more.  Business (IT work) is off at least 60% over what it has been for the last 3 years.

Joel McGregor

From: FrankCB at aol.com [FrankCB at aol.com]
Subject: Re: <VV>(garage lighting info) (Permitting)NO CORVAIR

Joel,
    You're so fortunate to live in an area with minimal government interference.  You're also lucky to be able to make a living in a location where you can afford a large piece of property.  Here in northern NJ we have to live in MUCH smaller areas and still pay for all that government "help".  On my QUARTER acre property I'm lucky to have a small TWO car garage when most of my neighbors have only ONE car garages.  And many of these properties are in the $300,000+ price range.  My property taxes are over $7000 yearly, mostly to pay for educating other peoples children (government "help" ain't cheap!).
    We can't make changes in our houses or property without getting municipal inspections.  And our cost for electricity is over 13 cents per KWH but that has come down from the former 15 cents.
    Now that I'm retired and no longer have to commute 84 miles per day to work and back, I'm sorely tempted to move out to some less congested and less regulated area.
    Good luck in finding the place you want OUTSIDE the city.
Frank Burkhard
Boonton, NJ