<VV> 1964 Corvair Problem

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Thu Oct 18 14:31:54 EDT 2012

I have a 1964 Corvair.  It is fun to drive but after sitting idle for weeks, it
is
very hard to start.  Then it spits and sputters and back fires until warmed up.
I am convinced fuel delivery and spark timing is O.K.  (It has electric fuel
pump
and electronic ignition).  Could it be possible that the lifters (as they lay on
their
sides) are bleeding down and not opening the valves properly??  I am using 10W30
full-synthetic and oil pressure is O.K.
Also, since switching to full-synthetic in my '74 Harley Shovelhead, I've
nicknamed
her the Valdez.
I would love to have your opinion on this and would appreciate any information
you
can forward to me on this.  Thanks so much.  I look forward to hearing from you
soon.
Dave LaNew

Sounds more like the Chokes are opening too fast!

For the lifters...  before stepping on the gas pedal... crank the engine until the oil light goes out... then see what happens..

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages