<VV> GDI NG Applications Re: methanol vs. ethanol (Humour)

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Oct 19 11:32:13 EDT 2012

Scotty,
    The smell is added on purpose by the NG suppliers  so homeowners (and
others) can detect leaks and evacuate the house before  disaster occurs.  Our
plant that we built to treat the landfill gas  produced at the Fresh Kills
Landfill in Staten Island, NY (at that time the  largest landfill in the
world) purified the gas (natural gas + carbon  dioxide+contaminants) so well
that the NG company had to ADD BACK an  odorant into it before they could
incorporate the gas into their NG supply  that went to homeowners.
    Natural gas is an excellent fuel for internal  combustion engines.  The
problem is that it has to be stored at aroung 2000  psig to be able to get
a reasonable amount to carry in a vehicle.  But now  that GDI is becoming
popular, engines are being designed to use gasoline fuel at  2000+ psig, so
using a natural gas storage tank at 2000 psig could eliminate the  need for an
expensive high pressure fuel pump that now has to take gasoline at
atmospheric pressure and pump it up to 2000 psig to feed to the GDI  injectors.
    A number of municipal garbage trucks  have ALREADY been converted from
diesel fuel to run on natural gas which  costs around HALF of what
equivalent diesel fuel costs (and we don't have to  import it).   At the end of the
day the trucks all return to a central  location where the can be refueled
with fresh NG.  The cost of conversion  doesn't take long to pay for itself
with the cheaper fuel.
    Frank "likes NG" Burkhard
    Boonton, NJ

In a message dated 10/19/2012 10:56:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,