<VV> My Bad Corvair Story

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 16:38:15 EDT 2012

Ulli, the positive crankcase ventilation system we have on non-turbo
engines does not work on your turbo setup. But, keep in mind that you need
to have some basis for ventilation, maybe some turbo guys can help with
that.

But Bob Helt may have nailed it on the head. The engines just won't run
well if the cam is not synced properly with the crank. So, do the
compression check and see what you have.

In the end a lot of my problems stemmed around not being able to set up the
engine properly, and that was all due to air, via the pcv, was leaning the
mixture. Just driving down the road, I would feel little misses
(detonation) unless adding power, then the extra fuel made the little
miss's disappear, but as I would drive by a guard rail on the road, or a
big building where the exhaust noise would reflect back to me, the engine
sounded perfectly normal.

Yes I got frustrated and started throwing parts at it, wrong thing to do,
but it now runs and I am not bankrupt, yet. :):) I did find issues along
the way, that I thought would have fixed the problem. When I took the carbs
apart, which had been overhaled by a reputable guy in the business 6 month
before, I found the lower half of a accelerator cup stuck down in the pump
well in one carb. Every time I stomped the accelerator, it rubbed on the
new cup on the pump  shaft and tore off a bit, which kept plugging up that
circuit. I was estatic when I found that. But it did not fix the overall
problem. then, I noticed the advance wandering, bought a NOS advance that
fixed that, but still did not fix the overall problem. Also, I had no idea
what I had for springs or cam in the distributor (it was in fact 50 years
old), so I bought a dual bushinging unit correct for the engine. Its cam
surface was so rough, my points would last maybe 40 miles until I would
have to adjust them, so I put in the Pertronix. Still, the lean miss, still
poor idle.

One of the positives was that no one on any of the forums I could find
mentioned a PCV valve being the probable air leak, it took me awhile to
think of it on my own.

So, in your case, be methodical. Isolate each problem and verify operation
of the accompaning system. If the cam/crank is off one tooth, its going to
upset the apple cart for all other systems. If a compression check shows
low across the board, then seek consensus but you would need to verify the
crank/cam marks, and that means  gaining access to that portion of the
engine.

Mark Durham