<VV> My Bad Corvair Story

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Oct 19 12:05:13 EDT 2012

Hello Ulli,
Please allow me a few comments concerning your engine. I have  seen your
postings before but do not remember just what engine you have or the  specific
problems (other that what you have in this posting).

So let's start with the manual. You need to get a 1965  Corvair Shop
Manual. It has a section covering the turbo engine and lots of  information on all
engines. Clarks has these. If you otherwise can't get a  manual, then let
us know and someone will be able to send you a used one  cheaply.

Now your running problems. I assume this is your 180 hp turbo  engine.
You said......bad acceleration, not much power at 3500 and  up... (can not go
faster than 4000 rpm´s)

You also said I have overhauled.......

OK, there are two likely causes of these problems. 1) not  getting the
camshaft gear and crankshaft gear aligned correctly when assembling  the engine.
and 2) misadjustment of the valve lash. I don't know what your level  of
experience and knowledge is in these areas so please don't take offense here.

You should first run a compression test on your engine to see  if this will
lead you to the problem. Both of these possibilities will affect  the
compression. With a CR of around 8:1, the compression should be at least 120  and
uniform for each cylinder.

If you can pinpoint the cause, then we can proceed from that.

Now is the turbo working? Maybe your problem is the turbo and  not the
engine. Can you isolate the problems to a specific cause  here?

I hope that this helps a little.

Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 10/19/2012 7:56:15 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,