<VV> Exhaust Donuts

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 08:58:32 EDT 2012

                                                                 B"H

Hi all.  Well, I pulled the manifolds off the old 110 yesterday.  The donuts looks like they were the original, white flakey stuff that was probably asbestos, and pretty far gone, too.  THey disintegrated when I knocked them off the exhuast stacks (I sprayed them with soapy water first to avoid dust).

The manifolds were also pretty cruddy with some rust on the seats, but I cleaned them up with light sanding and a wire brush.  The seats came out pretty clean and the new donuts fit them nicely.

One stack (I think cylinder #6) had its flange and sleeve rusted somewhat (but still useable), but I put muffler sealer around it and installed all new graphite donuts on the manifolds, then bolted everything back. The other 5 stacks look like they are in perfect shape.

I've never tried to pull one of those stacks out of the head, but I heard you have to remove a pushrod tube first.  Sounds like a bear of a job.  I'm not up to doing that at this time, but as long as the system doesn't leak I'll run the car for a few trips, re-torque the manifold nuts and bend the locks down, then reinstall the shrouds.

And I'll make sure to have a CO detector in the car when the heater's on just to make sure it's safe.

Thanks guys...Bill Hershkowitz  66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C