<VV> Volt Reg, Gen & Other Questions

James Cooper cooperj123 at msn.com
Tue Oct 23 20:05:10 EDT 2012

I had a problem with pulsating lights in my '65 sedan this past spring.  Voltage was way high from the alternator so I replaced the mechanical voltage regulator with a solid state unit.  This put the voltage right where it should be BUT the headlights (most noticeable) and all of the light bulbs pulsed.  After much troubleshooting it turned out to be a faulty (brand new off the shelf) solid state voltage regulator.  A new one from my local auto parts place cured it.  It's that one in one-thousand bad brand new part that can make troubleshooting a bear.  Especially electrical or electronics.Jim