<VV> VV> Decoding 1968/1969 engines' 9- digit mini-VIN

Dave Leonard dave at arborlea.com
Mon Sep 3 23:15:48 EDT 2012

Charlie asks a good question on production-line processes.  I understood the
VIN was not assigned to the body until the unit moved into final assembly -
with the body and engine already completed.  I have a hard time believing
the engines were serialized before being united with the body, as it would
seem to be too hard to keep track of.  On the other hand, stamping the VIN
on the engine and trans must have been a pain to do at final assembly.  Did
the engine/trans actually get the VIN "first" then it was assigned to a
body?

Anyone know how it was done?

Dave