<VV> Powerglide service

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Sep 4 08:10:25 EDT 2012

Ahh, you have not seen this.

Powerglides can have the seal between the transmission and differential
fail. This causes the differential to fill with ATF. As you can imagine,
differential hypoid gears do not like ATF as a lube.

Back in the keep 'em alive days, I drilled drain holes to drain the ATF
from the differentials and top off the gear lube. Just another check
when changing oil on customer cars. Late models were easier, as I just
drilled through a strut rod bracket hole. Replaced bolt coated with
sealer. On earlies, I drilled and tapped a pipe plug in the bottom.

Fix it right? People weren't spending that kind of money!

Frank DuVal