<VV> Crank gear issue

ntcagp at sbcglobal.net ntcagp at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 4 21:25:26 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Long time Corsa member, but just recently re-subscribed to VV. Been watching the Corvanatics board, but now am back into a late model and have run into a problem I’ve not encountered before. Was wondering what, if any, options I might have. This is a 66 110/pg setup. Under the previous owner, the car was run for a long time with the flex plate bolts to the crank gear loose, allowing the plate to shift back and forth, until the plate is ruined, four of the bolts broke off inside the gear, and the other two have wallowed out to an unknown metric size.  I just bought it, as he was fed up with the unknown noise in the engine. Now the noise is known. The three things I have considered (but don’t know the feasibility of) are: 1. drilling and tapping the holes larger.  I am unsure of the hardness of the bolts/gear, so is this possible? 2. Is it possible to change the crank gear with the engine assembled? 3. Complete teardown and start over. I am certainly open to any other thoughts also. Thanks for your input.

Garry Parsley

66 Monza