<VV> Crank gear issue

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Sep 5 00:23:07 EDT 2012

In a message dated 9/4/2012 6:25:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ntcagp at sbcglobal.net writes:

The  three things I have considered (but don’t know the feasibility of)
are: 1.  drilling and tapping the holes larger.  I am unsure of the hardness of
 the bolts/gear, so is this possible? 2. Is it possible to change the crank
 gear with the engine assembled? 3. Complete teardown and start over.

The safe course is Number 3. But - it is a lot of work. #2 is impossible.
#1 may be possible, depending on how bad the "wallowed out" holes are. The
stock  holes are (or were?) 11/32 -(24?)  Blue Chip machine makes a nifty
tool  designed to guide you in drilling out the six holes to 3/8-24 NF thread.
I just  bought one of the tools from John Sweet at John's Corvair parts in
PA. The tool  bolts in place with a pair of the 11/32 bolts and presents you
with a drill  bushing to drill out some of the holes to the 3/8 thread minor
diameter,  then a guide for the tap to tap them to the larger size. You
then relocate the  tool and progress around the bolt pattern. The kit includes
the drill and the  taps - both a leading tap and a bottoming tap. I have not
yet used it, but it  looks pretty slick. It appears like you could do the
re-threading with the  engine assembled - but (DUH!) out of the car. The
mounting holes in the stick  flywheel are already 3/8", so nothing needs to be
done there, but I can't vouch  for the holes in the PG flexplate mounting
triangle, but they are probably  3/8". The main point is, it doesn't hurt much
to try it, just the price of the  tool. If you screw it up?  Well you learn,
and move on to choice #3. And  you can always sell the tool to an aspiring
racer!

Seth Emerson