<VV> Broken fllywheel bolts.

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Wed Sep 5 23:35:01 EDT 2012

Smitty Says;  The bolts were under tensile stress only until the head or
shanks broke off.  Now what remains is just a threaded dowel sitting in the
hole.  Nothing holding it there but thread friction. It wouldn't surprise me
if you couldn't press your thumb tightly against the stud and rotate it and
unscrew the stud.  First thing I would do is use a Dremmel cutoff wheel and
cut a slot in the end of the stud.  (If it is sticking out at least flush).
Then use a small screwdriver to turn it out.  Second best, go to a tool
supply or on the net and buy a 1/8" or larger left hand twist drill.  Chuck
it up in your reversible electric drill and I bet money the stud will come
flying out before you can get  started into it.

As for the bolts, they are a common grade #8.  Make sure your replacements
are just barely long enough to go through the Triangle drive plate and the
hub.  I would drill to the next larger size and tap to a fine thread.  One
thing to look out for.  The cam gear is just on the other side of the
flywheel flange.  Rotate the crank so it is safely off to one side.  When
you drill and tap.  Remove the oil pan.  Tilt the back of the engine up an
inch or so, and flush the area well with parts cleaner to get filings out
when you are done

I know inexperience makes you cautious but don't let these people panic you
into tearing the whole engine down.

One last thing.  Just be aware that every flywheel, Drive plate, or stress
ring that goes on there from now on will have to be drilled out to match th
new bolt size.