<VV> Shrouds

62Vair at gmail.com 62Vair at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:04:04 EDT 2012

I was doing some timing, balance and idle mixture adjustments the other
night after a drive and the air exiting the two outlets was blowing on my
legs. It was hot enough I did not want to stand in one place too long, but
decided to measure the temp. It was in the 160 degree F range and cooled
off to around 145 after a few minutes of idle. I do not know what temps the
CHT might read if I had one installed. I plan to get the car thoroughly
warmed up in the next month and then drop the oil and filter for its fall
change, and measure oil temp, too.

There is no issue with our engines running a bit cooler. Remember the water
pumpers have been running well in the 180 to 215 degree F range for years,
so there is no need to have the temps in the 300's operationally, other
than for cabin heat. Those higher temps are just typical for an air cooled
engine, and I'm pretty sure the heads are in the 325-350 F range when you
are powering down the road as usual, because the doors would be open at
that time, anyway. Having them off would only mean less heat, a slower warm
up due to higher air flow, and a bit quicker cool down.

My car actually was hard to start hot in 90+ degree weather, until I took
the doors off. That small change made the engine just cooler enough that
the heat soak in the carbs was less, and the engine started with no
coaxing, hot, say, after getting gas.

Mark Durham