<VV> Bad Corvair, Bad Bad Corvair

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Tue Sep 11 13:36:38 EDT 2012

Smitty Says;  I have been holding off on making this post because I frankly
hate to admit defeat where mechanical thing are concerned.  The base problem
was that the engine almost refused to idle and was breaking up electrically
at idle speeds, eventually just dying out.  Early on it was established that
the left carb was on vacation at Idle speeds.  It was a vendor carb that had
been rebuilt twice by the owner.  I said to myself and him.  No problem, I
will fix that.  I broke the carb down to its smallest parts, pulling all
plugs.  I do know where the ports go and what they do.  I saoaked, sprayed,
rodded , blew, and looked with lights.  I could see all passageways were
clear.  I concentrated on the idle circuit area.  Eventually I re plugged
the carb and reassembled it.  I sent it back to the owner.  It operated
exactly the same as before,  NOT at idle.  Another carb was provided and the
engine performed very well except it still would not continue to idle,
breaking up until it would finally die.

During this time I had the distributor in the shop ad was going through it.
The normal points plugs , coil , condenser crap had already been tried.  I
replaced the points plate with one with a nice snug rotation pin.  A un
needed pigtail was replaced anyway.  A double bushed body was provided.
Weights were checked for proper orientation and proper movement.  Springs
were checked for acceptable tension.  The distributor was returned to owner
and nothing had changed.  The engine started off fine but then gradually
deteriorated and died.  A replacement distributor was provided and it runs
great.

Like I said, it hurts that I can not find the problem.  I do not want to
hear from anyone who asks did I do this or did I do that.  Believe me I
have.   If there is any mouth out there that thinks he is better than I am,
I will give you a chance to prove it.  I will mark each and every piece in
the distributor so I will know if I get the same one back.  Then I will send
it to you.  You find the problem or return the distributor to me with $100
because you are no better than I.  You find the problem and return the
distributor to me working perfectly and I will send you $100.  You who have
been following this thread know you better have your crap in a sack if you
take me up on this.