<VV> Lifter Question

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:19:03 EDT 2012

Bob, (1) the original lifters had a longer range for the internal body to
work in. 1 turn supposedly put it into the center of its range.

(2), if  you had a set of original lifters, they would operate fine for the
life of the parts if set per the manual. Some believe that when you use a
1/2 turn setting, there is less stress on the body because the spring in
the lifter is compressed less, so there is less tension on the whole
system.

A new style lifter has a narrower operating range, so, setting it at 1/2
turn accomplishes the same thing as setting a old style lifter to 1
turn. Setting a new style lifter to original manual settings may place the
inner lifter body at the end of its travel and cause internal damage and
failure of the lifter.

Personally, I adjust my lifters to 1/4 turn. I did this at engine overhaul
cold on the bench, very carefully, and with 2000 miles on the engine, just
ordered a set of valve cover gaskets so I can go in and do a proper hot
adjustment, bringing each lifter out until it clatters, then in to zero
lash, then to 1/4 turn. I'm doing this to compensate for any wear-in wear.

I have seen pictures of both types of lifters, and have a hard time telling
them apart, so cannot help you with (3).

Whether you have a old lifter at 1/2 to 1 turn in, or a new lifter with 1/4
to 1/2 turn in, that places the lifters in their operating range and allows
the lifter to adjust as the valve train system wears over the life of the
engine. Newer engines use more advanced materials, more roller cams,
rockers, etc., and have less wear problems over the life of the engine

Either lifter (old style or new style SBC) can work well at 1/4 to 1/2
turn. I ran my original 62 in 66-72 at 1/2 turn for many miles, did regular
oil changes, and never had to adjust them from overhaul to overhaul, once
set.  Mark Durham