<VV> Corvairs, rare indeed

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 18:16:32 EDT 2012

My 1962 Monza coupe is my daily driver. I drive it to work every weekday, rain, shine, sleet or snow. The commute to work is only 5 miles one way, but I also drive it longer distances whenever I need to go there. This includes runs to the airport 70 miles away when I travel for business, to Richmond and Washington DC areas both over 100 miles. I also drove it to Sturbridge, 490 miles, for the convention, without any special prep other than checking oil levels and greasing the front end before leaving (nothing beyond normal scheduled maintenance). I spend so much time working that I don't get much time to drive anywhere, but I  have put about 5900 miles on the car in the last year (I also have been driving my daughter's Spyder to work some).

I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere I had to go. Comfort is not an issue with me, but if it is very hot, Jennifer insists on taking a car with air conditioning if we are going far. Someday, I plan to
add A/C to one of my cars to take care of that.

<<Timothy Shortle asked:
A question for all of us: How many of us are willing to drive our Corvairs more than 100 miles? (This takes reliability and comfort into account). I suspect we all (probably 99%+) have more modern cars at our disposal.>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on